I will be asking the registrar for advice regarding my issue but I figure I might as well ask here too in case you may have encountered this same issue, and in the very least, maybe this will serve to aid any one else who encounters this issue.
I am going into my second year however I only have the credits to be considered a first year. Which is fine. But I am taking 1.5 credits this summer, which would place me into the second year category come September. This is again as expected. The issue I am running into is however the school emailed me with my enrolment time, and stated that based on the fact that I will have the credits to be considered second year, that I will be enrolling at the same time as students with 4.0-8.5 credits.
Then comes the day and I have all my course codes ready. I punch the very first one in and am given the message “you do not fit in any enrolment category”. After a bit of searching I discovered that at least for most people this is because they either lack the necessary amount of credits, or because their subject posts are incorrect and are barred from registering into new courses. But this is where my confusion comes from.
1. I have a major, and two minors. All are ‘active’. But since I have 3.0 credits I did not believe this would be an issue, but to be sure, I had them declared nonetheless.
2. The courses I am choosing are second year, not third or fourth. Why would they allow me to enrol for courses if I did not have the right amount?
3. I even tried picking up a few first year courses, just as a test, and I received the same message.
I have no debt with the University, my entire first year completely paid off as well as my summer courses. I was a full time student. I intend to be again. My status on ROSI is ‘invited’. As far as I can tell I should be able to pick my courses and yet I cannot even pick up a first year course. This does not appear to be a global issue because someone I know was able to pick their courses just fine.
I’m at a loss. Hopefully you can help me in this.
Thank you for the time.
Yeaaah your situation is quite confusing.
The end result is that you’re going to have to talk to the registrar’s office at UTM so that they can delve into the kinks of the matter, but here are some possibilities I can propose…
1. Your extra summer courses (that 1.5 FCE) are from a different university. If that’s the case, they might just not be getting put into the credit count by ROSI.
2. You’re just having bad luck with the enrolment controls. For example, although you’re trying with 100-level courses, those usually give priority to incoming students and fourth/fifth year students.
3. You’re not meeting prerequisites. Sometimes you just need 4.0 FCE. Look for a course that seems to be pretty fair game for now.
Annnnnnd that’s all I’ve got.