your student life specialists

Archive for the ‘exchange’


pitbull’s younger brother

Hi there, I’m planning to go on exchange to a country abroad in the Fall/Winter term of 2018. My CGPA is high enough and I am in good academic standing. However, I credit/no credited a course that I received a NCR for. Will this affect my chances of going on exchange? My CGPA is higher than 2.25 (not much higher but still higher –> 2.28). Will they still consider me for exchange? Kindly advise. Thank you!



according to this website, the CIE only requires that you have a GPA of 2.25 in order to apply. they also have a list of institutions that you could go on exchange with and their academic requirements. i would check that out and compare the requirements of the institution/ place you want to go to and your current academic standing.

i can’t say whether they would accept your application or not. you meet all academic requirements, and i don’t know whether a NCR would affect your application. i would get in contact with the CIE to discuss options and what you could do to better your chances of going on exchange. hopefully you end up as mr. international exchange (pitbull’s younger, slightly less impressive brother)

i really hope this helps! sorry for such a late reply. good luck!




let’s goooooooooo

Can I apply international exchange in my fourth year (so I’m going in my fifth year)? Also must I take courses related to my program? Is it possible to graduate right after exchange, without having to take any courses back here? Thanks!



this is all within the realm of possibility but you should get in contact with the CIE (centre for international experience).  though it is hypothetically and technically possible for you to go on exchange in your fifth year, take courses related to your program and graduate right after, it’s all dependent on what the people at the CIE say.

you could also check out your eligibility for exchange here.   i would also check out this page to check whether or not an exchange program is right for you. a

i’m sorry i don’t really have a straight-forward answer for you, these things can be a little iffy. anyways, it’s all possible, but not certain. get in contact with the CIE and they will be able to give you more information than i, a humble student blogger, can.

Obama hello obama barack obama wave GIF

hope this helps!




jet set joint minor

Hey Aska,

I just finished my first year and am looking into some programs for my subject POSt. I’m interested in the Biology Minor jointed with the National University of Singapore. I’ve read the Arts & Science Calendar about the requirements and such but there’s not much information on the exchange. I’ve never been in an exchange program so I don’t really know how things would go. Where would I stay? How much would everything be? What would I be doing at NUS? How many other UofT students would be there? I can’t seem to find much information on the program. I was hoping there would be blogs or forums about students’ experience in the program and at NUS but I can’t seem to find any. Plz help!



congrats on finishing your first year! i’m glad you’ve already looked into the requirements on the artsci calendar.  

according to the outbound joint minor programs website, you need to apply for a term abroad separately through the CIE (centre for international experience). the website has tons of information about the application process, what documentation you need to have, and the various steps you need to take before going on exchange. be sure to check it out!

the CIE also has information about funding and bursary options, safety abroad workshops, and transfer credits.  

i would really suggest getting in contact with the CIE or visiting them at the Cumberland House at 33 St. George Street. they’ll be able to give you more detailed information.

i hope that’s helpful, you jetsetter!





Hey aska:) When do people usually go on exchange? Is third or fourth year too busy for it? Oh and I have 5.5 transfer credits from Western last year, can I still get more credits from exchange?



you can go on exchange whenever! there isn’t really a time that is better! third or fourth year won’t necessarily be too busy for exchange, it really depends on what works for you.

the only condition about going on exchange in your fourth year is that you won’t be able to convocate in the same semester that you go abroad, you’d have to wait until the next semester because transfer credits will take a while to process and they might not process in time for convocation. it might be a deal breaker for some, but you’ll just need to convocate at a later date.

in terms of credits, i contacted the people at the centre for international experience (a place you should definitely check out) and they said:

“The Faculty has a residency requirement.  10.0 FCEs must be completed in the
Faculty. Hence, a student can receive up to a maximum of 10.0 FCEs.  A
student might have 10.0 FCE at the time of admission, hence, they will not be
eligible to receive any post-admission transfer credits. The maximum
post-admission transfer credits is 5.0 FCE (one year of study).  Without
knowing who the student is, I am assuming based on the correspondence that
the student received 5.5 on-admission from Western.  If this is the case,
then the student can participate in the exchange program.  If they decide to
participate for one term they can receive the full 2.5 FCEs.  No problem.  If
the student decides to participate for two terms the maximum we can award
back is 4.5 FCEs.”

it’s a little confusing, but if you have any more questions, you should email the CIE or the transfer credit contact at the CIE directly!

going to see your registrar is also a good idea because you can talk to them to see if going on exchange is right for you!

hope this helped- have fun and be safe! here’s a cheesy tumblr post for ya

peace and love,






je m’excuse, je ne parle pas le francais

heya aska. this is a question that is not u of t-specific necessarily, but i can’t seem to find the answer anywhere online, so thought i would ask here first before resorting to talking to whomever in whatever administrative position that would know. i completed the explore program in summer 2015 (at a u of t-approved university) but still haven’t transferred the credit (for ~complicated reasons~); i’m just wondering if anyone knows if it counts for 1.0 FCE or just 0.5. thanks !



i contacted the french department’s study elsewhere coordinator (a lovely man named Paul) and he was very helpful in answering your question! i’ve paraphrased his words below:

in short, all explore courses are worth 1.0 FCE, but there are other steps you need to take to ensure you receive the transfer credit.

  1. you need to go to the transfer credit office at sidney smith hall (100 st. george street) and fill out a transfer credit application
  2. then, arrange to have your Explore course transcript sent to the transfer credit office at sid smith
  3. after that, contact french.secretary(at) to book a french placement test
  4. after the test, forward the results to the transfer credit office

our friend Paul also included the following note: “if you have already taken an FSL course at U of T, the placement test result must show that your level has increased by the one full course in order to be eligible to receive a transfer credit”.

hope this helps!

bonne chance!

paix et amour,




a straightforward answer? OVER MY DEAD BODY!

I’m hoping to go abroad to a university known for a very tough grading policy, and I’m a little concerned about the effect this could have on my gpa. I know many universities don’t do this and U of T doesn’t factor AP credits, but are credits from a study abroad program factored into our gpa?


hey there,

uoft has two study abroad opportunities: summer abroad, or exchange. depending on which one you’re talking about, the answer will be different.

summer abroad is a program where you complete a uoft credit, but you just do it in another country. in this case, the mark would appear on your transcript. if you’re doing an exchange through the CIE (centre for international experience), then you would be doing another university’s courses and getting transfer credits for your uoft degree – in that case, the mark wouldn’t show up, only the credit.

so: does it affect your GPA? for summer abroad: yes. for exchanges: no.




tbh i didn’t know that ‘children’s fashion photographer’ was a thing


I am currently a student at U of T who has some questions about transfer credits. This past year I did an exchange with U of T at Sciences Po in Paris, and there I have greatly developed my career as a children’s fashion photographer, and working very frequently/ and am sought out increasingly in France, Germany, Italy etc and being in Canada be detrimental to my growing career as a top children’s fashion photographer. At the same time I want and find it crucial to complete my studies. My registrar said that I can only do 5 transfer credits (exchange & online) that will count to my degree (I need 5.5-6 more edits to complete it), however I found information on the U of T website that I believe stated you could do a maximum of 10 transfer credits. Do you happen to know anything about this. I am hoping there is a way to complete my degree online as my career and life over here in Europe is thriving.

Thank you very, and all the best.


hey there,

if you want to get a degree at uoft, at least half your credits have to be uoft credits – which, yes, translates to 10.0 FCEs. so that means that all of the transfer credits you have combined – including exchange courses, online courses and transfer credit from high school or other universities, etc. – have to be under 10.0. so that’s one restriction.

the second rule is: if you’re in the faculty or arts & science, the MAXIMUM amount of exchange credits you can have is 7.5 FCEs.

i’m not sure how many transfer credits you have already, but those would be the restrictions you’d have to abide by. also: listen to whatever your registrar said. i guarantee you they’re right.

and hey, if you can’t do all the rest of your degree online, maybe you can just wait a year or two, finish your degree, and then go back to Paris or wherever you need to be. i guarantee Europe will still be there when you’re ready.




@ Michael Lee-Chin: fight me


are there study abroad opportunities for architecture, particularly for undergrads?



hey there,

if you really want an EXCITING, URBAN experience, my personal recommendation is that you stand in front of the ROM – facing the shard side, of course – and yell really loudly about how bold and beautiful it is. scream “WHAT AN INSIGHTFUL MEDITATION ON THE CLASH BETWEEN THE ANCIENT AND THE MODERN” until someone stops on the street to pummel you.

then fight them, illustrating in real time the historical struggles preserved in the ROM. punch yourself in the face. get an A+.

buttttt if you’re more conventional (*cough*boring*cough*) and want something NON LIFE-THREATENING that’s organized by the university (snore), then you can always participate in the summer abroad program.

summer abroad lets you complete a uoft course abroad during the summer. this summer, there are two architecture courses offered: FAH391Y0 in Italy, and FAH392Y0 in England.

there is also an exchange program (different from summer abroad, this program is organized by the CIE) that allows you to complete a course at another university abroad. Yonsei University in Korea offers architecture courses.

that’s about it as far as undergrad opportunities go, but keep an eye on the summer abroad and CIE websites, because new courses and partner institutions are always being added to the summer abroad and exchange programs.

or you could go for my very helpful ROM suggestion. i think a bloody fight between some art enthusiasts is exactly what Bloor/Yorkville needs.

happy travels,



an overview of overseas opportunities

Hi Aska,

So i really wanted to study abroad this summer and i was wondering what the difference is between doing a summer abroad program or an exchange program? They seem basically the same to me. What are the pros and cons of each? Which would you suggest?

Thanks for the help!


hey there,

i’m feeling like i wanna shake things up a bit today, so let’s do this in LIST FORM, shall we?

Summer Abroad Program

– runs out of Woodsworth College’s Professional & International Programs
– 3-6 weeks
– available in these countries, for certain uoft courses
– costs between $5000-$9000 (including flights, meals, etc.) depending on the country

UofT Exchange Program

– run by the CIE
– one semester, one year, or one summer long
– available at partner institutions in these countries
cost is your regular uoft tuition plus flights, meals, accommodation, etc.

the main distinction is that in the summer abroad program, you’re doing a UOFT COURSE in some other country. in the uoft exchange program, you’re completing TRANSFER CREDITS at an international university.

if you think another university’s courses would be a really good supplement to your program, and you can get enough transfer credits there to be on track when you come back, then the exchange program is for you.

also, if you just want to get away from toronto for a really, really long time, CIE’s program is your golden ticket. you can get away for so long your memories of the TTC will almost be washed away entirely. almost.

on the other hand, if you’re not particularly interested in taking courses outside of uoft, and you’re more comfortable committing to just one or two months abroad rather than a full semester or year, the summer abroad program is probably a better fit.

finally, consider the financial aspect carefully before you decide to go. it’s no fun coming back from an exchange dirt poor, AND having to spend the little money you do have left on the TTC. that gosh dang TTC. here are CIE’s funding opportunities, and here’s Woodsworth’s.




ship me outta this icebox, gosh darnit

Dear aska,Me again! I wonder if you notice that some people ask you questions more than once :$Anyways, I was wondering if you could go on exchange for 2nd year rather than 3rd.I REALLY want to go to Korea for 2nd year because my friends in Korea will leave to the army by 3rd year..I checked online and it said you need at least 4.0 credits.. and I don’t know what that means.Thanks for your time!Over-Excited Korean Girl


i occasionally recognize names, but honestly, you give me more credit than you really should. i mean, i count it an achievement if i get on the right train in the morning. i’m not the brightest bulb in the registrar’s office, is what i’m saying, and that’s just something i have to deal with. still, i’m happy you find aska useful enough to come back to! it’s like the second date i’ve always dreamed about.

i don’t know where you heard that you can’t go on exchange in second year, because you only need to have completed 4.0 credits to be eligible. what that means is really simple: one full-year course is worth 1.0 credits. so 4.0 credits is just the equivalent of four full-year courses (or eight half-year ones). full-time students complete between 4.0 and 6.0 (usually 5.0) credits in their first year, meaning that you should be eligible to go in second year. woo!

there are some other requirements, of course: you need at least a 2.25 CGPA, but that’s about it. as long as you’re a pretty good student and you properly fill out all the required application documents, you should be set for 2nd year. Also, here are all the partner institutions in Korea to take a look at – when you apply, you should know where you want to go and be able to explain to the school how it will be helpful to you. so do a little bit of research before you apply!

best of luck, and i hope you keep coming back for more ASKA ACTION. YEAH.




a semester at st. george


I’m looking at going on exchange in the fall session/semester next year and I am trying to figure out what subjects I can do and how many subjects I can do. I am majoring in History with a minor in Screen and Cultural Studies, and I have looked at the sites for History and Cinema studies, but I am still not sure how it all works. How many FCE’s is each subject worth and can I do 200 and 300 level subjects (I will be in my 2nd year when I go on exchange)? Any help will be greatly appreciated!!!



Hey there,

An FCE is a full credit equivalent made of 1.0 course. So a course that lasts for a full year (two semesters) is worth 1.0 FCEs, whereas a course that is just one semester is worth 0.5 FCE. So if you’re staying here for one semester, you can take up to 2.5 FCE, meaning you’ll take a maximum of five courses in the fall session.

Now with the History courses, a good number of the 200-level ones don’t have any requirements, but the 300-levels either have prerequisites or recommend some sort of preparation. With Cinema Studies, on the other hand, you’ll only be able to take the 200-level courses. But you’ll definitely have a decent selection of courses to pick from for both programs, so don’t worry.




a most excellent exchange

Hi there!

I’m currently a first year architecture student at the University of Auckland in New Zealand and am thinking of applying for an exchange at UofT next year. Unfortunately I have been ripping my hair out for the past month trying to figure out how courses and things work over there… if it’s not too much of a bother, would you mind answering a few questions please? How many FCEs do you have to gain/complete in a session? What are the core courses for second and third year students? I have looked at the Daniel’s website (many times) but I’m still a bit confused, the core courses courses currently listed under their Bachelor of Arts majoring in Architecture tag and the courses listed in their time table don’t seem to match up. Is their an academic calendar of some sort for the Daniel’s faculty?

Thanks so much 🙂


Hey there, future Torontoian!

Indeed, U of T’s department websites can be a bit daunting and confusing at times, but that’s why you have aska, so there’s no need for ripping out your hair anymore! 🙂

U of T’s academic year is divided into two sessions: the fall session lasting from September to December, and the winter session, lasting from January to April. According to the Centre for International Experience, if you choose to study in lovely Toronto for an entire year, you’ll need to take between 3.0 and 5.0 FCEs. If you come for only one semester, however, you’ll be taking between 1.5 and 2.5 FCEs and will only be able to take the courses available during the term you’re studying here.

Luckily for you, a good number of the second-year courses from the Architectural Studies program have no perquisites. ARC213H1 Architectural Design I and ARC221H1 Architectural Representation I, on the other hand, do require enrollment in U of T’s Architecture program. I suppose you can deem these two the core courses as without them, you’ll be limited to the second-year courses that lack perquisites. But since your program at the University of Auckland is the same as what you want to take here, you can probably work something out to get into the courses with restrictions by talking to either Barbara Muniz, the Exchange Officer for Inbound Students, or the John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design directly.

For now, you can refer to the Faculty of Arts and Science calendar to see the courses that they recommend second-year students take. Unfortunately, the Architecture Studies program is in a transitional state at the moment, moving from the Faculty of Arts and Science and to its own personal Faculty, so the website may be a bit wonky right now.

I know the process does seem quite troublesome, but don’t let the currently messy faculty website deter you from any future adventures at the University of Toronto. We have a beautiful campus, a multicultural and diverse city, and, most importantly, Tim Horton’s, the world’s greatest coffee shop, so you definitely won’t regret studying here.

cozy in canada,


  • Caution! student content ahead

    This site contains candid exchanges between students. Prepare yourself for vivid language and opinions.
  • Categories

  • Archives